Oct 232013
 

Over the past few months I have had a steadily increasing pile of broken PICKIT3 PIC programmer / debuggers on my desk. Yesterday I found a few moments to fault find one.

I have seen the connectors fail before but this was different.

They all show the same symptoms, Target Device ID (0x0) does not match expect….

A quick comparison against a working one revealed problems with the programming voltage applied to MCLR. After further investigation I found Q6 a PNP SOT23 packaged MMBT3906 had failed. All I had to hand was a FMMT593 which works perfectly well.

All of the others had the same fault.

Now all that is left to do is work out why they break in the first place.

 Posted by at 19:24

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.